Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Things We Have Eaten, New York to Florida

(1) Irvington, NY: Brunch with the family, including Mom's maple sausage apple quiche.

(2) Over the George Washington Bridge: Mom's famous sandwiches, remembered from my childhood, except made with TJ's tzatziki and leftover salad without dressing, and thus delicious.

(3) Richmond, VA: Spanish-style tapas and a cucumber martini at Europa with the delightful Cort Kenny, to whom I extend a virtual bear hug. This meal, of course, was all about the company, but the food was delicious too.

(4) Somewhere on the road just south of Lumberton, North Carolina: HOT Krispy Kreme donuts (four!) and coffee. Yes. Hot. The sign was on. We are powerless in the face of the sign.

(5) Savannah, GA: This menu. At a place called The Olde Pink House, which dates back to before the Revolutionary War.


We ordered the first two things, plus six oysters on the half shell. Justin had to tell me what country ham is. Let me just say this: In my rookie opinion, one cannot make collard greens properly without a deadly amount of bacon.

(6) Tampa, FL: Six (!) tacos of various meat flavors from kooky Mema's Alaskan Tacos. Apparently Mema knew they were a southwestern thing but "perfected" the art in Alaska. I'd say her grandkids probably perfected it in Florida. One of our tacos was made of gator. Seriously. I ate an alligator taco!


Shouldn't it be eating me?
We washed these down with a Ybor Gold from the Florida Beer Company.

We're going to get a continental breakfast tomorrow and our next meal is going to be with my grandma Baba in Sarasota!

No comments:

Post a Comment